I first get to know this Hong Kong snack through HK drama. Never get to taste the real stuff and was rather curious how it will taste like :D I've actually attempted the recipe twice as I was not really happy with the first one. The taste is fine, just that the texture is too soft and sticky for my liking :D So for the 2nd attempt, I've omitted the glutinous flour and reduce the liquid volume…..turn out soft and yet slightly chewy…the way I liked!
Recipe ref : Bon's Kitchen & travellingfoodies
- 50gm rice flour 粘米粉
- 15gm wheat starch 澄粉
- 10gm water chestnut starch 马蹄粉
- 60gm brown sugar 冰片糖
- 220ml water
- cooked sweetened red beans
- Place 100ml water and sugar in a saucepan. Bring to boil till sugar are completely dissolved. Cool down the mixture slightly.
- Combine all flour in a mixing bowl. Add in balanced water and stir to dissolve. Whisk in sugar syrup till well combine.
- Meanwhile, place small bowls into a steamer and heat up together with water. Bring water to rolling boil.
- Place some red beans over the bowl, pour in some flour mixture till 3/4 full. Add in more red beans. Cover and steam for 20-30 mins depending on the size of the pudding. Sprinkle more red beans after 10 mins in steaming if desired.
- Cool down for 30mins before unmoulding.