After patiently waited for one whole month, my homemade salted egg is ready for harvesting!! ^0^ Traditionally salted egg are made using fresh duck eggs, but it is impossible to find any fresh duck eggs in the market here, therefore I've used extra-large chicken egg. Glad that they all turn out better than I've expected.
Day 1 on 11 Jan 2014 which I started the brining process...
Lovely deep orange tone salted egg yolk after 30 days. From the picture below, you will realize the different in size of the egg yolks. I've actually used a couple of small normal chicken eggs, so it is better to use larger chicken eggs so that you can taste more yolks :D The white tasted real salty and the whole egg is infused with the spice flavour, taste different from the usual store-bought duck salted egg. I like it!!
This is how it looked after boiling….taste great with a bowl of piping hot porridge :D
- 10 extra large chicken eggs (egg yolk will be relatively small if using small normal chicken eggs)
- 1/2 cup rock salt
- 2 cups water
- 2 tbsp 汾酒 (or use Shaoxing wine)
- 1 star anise
- 2 tsp Sichuan peppercorns
- Rinse the eggs and drain well. Set aside.
- Put water and salt in a saucepan. Add star anise and peppercorns. Bring it to a boil. Once the salt has completely dissolves, turn off eat and cool the liquid completely.
- Pour in wine and stir well.
- Use a clean glass container, carefully arrange the eggs in the container. Pour the salted water into the container to submerge the eggs.
- Seal the container tightly and place it in a cool area. The brining process will takes 30-40 days.
- After 30 days, drain all the eggs and wipe dry. Keep them in fridge to prolong the shelf life.
- To cook hardboiled salted eggs. Place eggs in a pot of water, bring it to boil and cook on medium heat for 10mins. Drain away water and cool down before serving.
What's these?? Fillings for Liu Sha Bao 流沙包 whereby salted egg yolk is the core ingredient …stay tune for this awfully delicious & sinful Chinese dim sum soon!
Hi Peng, thanks again for sharing the recipe. I didn't know chicken eggs can also be used. Will definitely start brinning soon.
Eat with porridge will be yummy. Thanks for sharing.
The pau in progress in more attractive, hehe
The salted eggs looked interesting in its brown shells..
Post a Comment