This is a wonderful & awfully delicious dish! Even my boy could not help and steal bits of the kerisik mixture :) Seems like his getting very adventurous in food tasting especially spicy food! He even requested me to cook more curry next time :)
Recipe adapted from Frozen Wings
- 1 whole chicken, chopped into large pieces
- 2 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 150gm thick coconut milk
- 50gm kerisik (I used 30gm dessicated coconut)
- 80gm chilli boh ( chilli paste)
- 2 blades pandan leaves, knotted
- 6 tbsps of cooking oil
- salt and sugar to taste (I used approx 1 tsp each)
- 100gm big onion
- 50gm shallot
- 30gm garlic
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- lemongrass - 2 stalks, white parts only
- dry prawns - a small handful
- toasted belacan - about 1"x1"
- Pour oil into a wok over low fire and saute pounded ingredients until fragrant. Add in chilli boh and continue frying , this process takes about 10 minutes.
- Add in star anise and pandan leaves and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add in the kerisik and the chicken. Keep tossing and stirring, adjust to medium-high fire and pour in some coconut milk or add a little water if you find it too dry and cook for a few minutes, add in the balance of thick coconut milk, stir them around and let simmer until chicken is tender. (I stirred the mixture frequently to prevent scorching for about 45mins till the meat is cooked through.)
- Lastly, add salt and sugar to taste.