Nowadays the weather is so unbearable that I'm constantly feeling sticky and sweaty :( Always feels so good to gulp down a glass of icy water anytime of the day! Yes I don't stock up soft drinks nor canned juice in my fridge, even when I'm out I always bring along my 800ml water bottle hahaha.....ok back to this lovely sweet herbal drink which is made up with winter melon, luohanguo, dried longans and rock sugar. Sweet, concentrated infusion which you need to dilute with lots of ice before serving. Icy cold, sweet and refreshing, just right for this hot weather!
Luo Han Guo, dried longans, wintermelon & rock sugar
Recipe ref : WendyinKK
- 300gm wintermelon
- 300gm rock sugar
- 3 Luo Han Guo
- 100gm dark longan flesh
- 2 litres water
- Scrub the skin of the winter melon and discard the seeds. Cut into large chunks, skin on.
- Place winter melon into a pot with 2L water and bring to boil. Lower heat and simmer for 2 hours, lid on.
- Lightly crush luo han guo and put them into the pot together with the rock sugar. Simmer for another one hour.
- Strain the infusion into another pot, about 1L left. Put in dark longan flesh and simmer for another 10 mins, turn off heat.
- Cool the mixture completely.
- To serve, fill a small bowl full with ice cubes, spoon some of the cooled longan infusion over, let it melt for 5 minutes before serving.
* As suggested by Wendy in her blog, I've added about 1L of water to the strained mixture and simmered it again to get 2nd extract :D