This is the first year I've attempted baked mooncakes, so far I've used up 2.5 kg lotus paste and 2 small cans golden syrup! With some balance ingredients, I've churned out some mooncake cookies just for fun :D I do not own any traditional mould shaped like fish or piglet, so I just made use of my Hello Kitty silicon mould to shape out these cookies! Cute! But I almost ruined the cookies as the baking temperature was slightly on the high side resulting some cracks. Luckily I discovered it early and reduced the temperature and managed to save some from over disfigured :P
(10 cookies approx. 50gm each)
- 150gm golden syrup
- 50gm peanut oil
- 1 tsp alkaline water
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 200gm plain flour
- 90gm lotus paste
- glaze : 1 egg yolk + 2 tsp water
- Combine syrup, oil, alkaline water and baking soda in a mixing bowl and whisk to mix well.
- Sieve in flour and fold until well incorporated. Cling wrap and leave to rest overnight.
- The following day, add in lotus paste and knead well to combine.
- Place the dough in between a piece of plastic sheet (save the trouble of dusting the work surface). Roll out dough, about 1 cm thickness and cut out using your favourite cookie cutters. Altenatively, take appropriate amount of dough and press into cookie mould to press out patterns. Place cut out dough onto lined baking sheet.
- Lightly brush with egg wash and set aside until dry. Egg wash 2nd time. Bake in preheated oven at 160 deg cel for 15-20 mins until golden brown. Cool down completely before storing.
This post is linked to the event, Best Recipes for Everyone August 2014 Event Theme: Mooncake hosted by Fion XuanHom's Mom.