I've made pan fried spring onion pancake before but today's version the spring onion is filled inside the dough and shape into a flat bun rather than coiling up the dough up. Instead of just serving right away after pan frying, another spring onion omelette is being wrapping over the spring onion bun, therefore is called spring onion egg bun! It is a really filling snack, but I serve this to my family as lunch and the kids asked for more....with the egg one :D
Freshly fried spring onion buns, can be served instantly but wait....
....wrapped with an omelette (more spring onion added!)
First step for preparing the spring onion egg buns is of course is making the bread dough :) A lot of sesame oil is being added to the dough thus giving it a really nice flavour and fluffy texture.
Spring onion fillings
Flatten each dough and wrapped in spring onions fillings. Seal edge tightly and flatten again.
Pan frying in hot oil.....
....till golden brown on both sides
top with an omelette before serving
absolutely delicious & satisfying!
Ingredient (10 buns)
- 300gm plain flour
- 2 tsp instant yeast
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 150ml water + 1 tbsp water
- 2 tsp corn oil
- 5 tbsp sesame oil
- 150gm diced spring onion
- 2 tbsp toasted white sesame seeds
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
Omelette (1 serving) : 1 egg + 2 tbsp chopped spring onion
- Combine all filling ingredients and set aside.
- Combine flour, yeast and sugar into a mixing bowl. Add in water and mix into a rough dough.
- Add in corn oil and knead till dough is smooth and pliable. Cover and proof for 1 hour until double in bulk.
- Punch down dough and knead lightly. Add in sesame oil and knead till oil is are absorbed into the dough. Divide into 10 equal portions and shape into a ball.
- Lightly stretch out each dough by hands. Put in appropriate amount of spring onion fillings. Carefully pull the edges of the dough to the centre and seal tightly. Lightly floured a working surface, place down filled dough and roll out lightly to flatten it.
- Heat some oil in a non-stick pan, put in bun and pan fry till golden brown on both sides. Drain on kitchen paper.
- After all the buns are fried, prepare the omelette. Pour in beaten egg, add in a piece of spring onion bun onto the omelette. Cook till set before turning over. Cook briefly and transfer onto a serving plate. Serve immediately with chilli sauce if desired.
This post is linked to the event, Little Thumbs Up organised by Bake for Happy Kids and My Little Favourite DIY, and hosted by Diana from the Domestic Goddess Wannabe