If you like Taiwan salt pepper chicken 盐酥鸡, I'm sure you will love this dish too! Taste rather similar except it uses pork and the batter for the coating is different. Be-warned....this is really very addictive, you won't stop until you polish up the whole plate! hehehe....
The coating batter is very very thick and creamy
Thinly sliced marinated pork dipping into the batter
The batter sticks very well onto the sliced meat
slide in the coated pork into hot oil one by one
drain well on kitchen paper then toss with some pepper salt before serving
Recipe ref : 台湾小吃图解版
- 300gm pork fillet, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp rice wine
- 1 tsp five spice powder
- 1 tsp pepper
Coating Batter :
- 200gm plain flour
- 25gm potato starch
- 1/2 tbsp baking powder
- 1 small egg, lightly beaten
- 200ml water
- 80gm corn oil
- Combine sliced pork fillet with seasoning and marinate for at least 30mins or overnight.
- Combine flour, baking powder into a mixing bowl. Add in water and mix till flour is well dissolved and lump free. Add in egg and mix well.
- Stir in oil till well incorporated. Meanwhile heat some oil in pan.
- When oil is hot enough, coat marinated pork slice with flour batter evenly, gently drop in the coated pork, one by one, into the hot oil. Deep fry over medium heat, in batches, till golden brown. Drain on kitchen paper.
- Toss pork fritters with some pepper salt (recipe as below) and serve with pickled cucumber (recipe as below).
Do not miss out this seasoning for this dish! It really perk up the taste of the pork fritters. You can get it from certain supermarket but I'm lazy to go source for it. Since I've some sichuan peppercorns to get rid of, I found a simple recipe for making this pepper salt 椒盐.
椒盐 Pepper Salt
- 15gm sichuan pepper 花椒
- 10gm coarse salt 粗盐
Pan fry pepper and salt separately in a dry pan till fragrant, about 5 mins. Cool down pepper slightly, remove and discard the seeds. Grind pepper and salt in a food processor till fine. Sieve mixture and store in air-tight container till used.
糖醋黄瓜 Pickled Cucumber
- 1 large Japanese cucumber, sliced thinly
- 1/2 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
Combine cucumber and salt in a mixing bowl and let it sit for 10mins. Rinse lightly and gently squeeze away excess liquid. Combine sugar and rice vinegar and pour into sliced cucumber. Mix evenly and chill well before serving.