I've never tasted this kind of steamed taro balls before so I decided to give this recipe a try since I love yam! 芋头糕，芋头饭，芋头焖排骨 drools......^0^ Do not mistaken this with the popular 芋圆 which is a dessert made from yam too. This steamed taro balls are made from shredded yam and are encased with marinated pork slices. After which they are moulded into round shape and send to steam. Looks rather an ordinary dish but it tasted so good! Full of yam flavour with hint of five spice powder and tender savoury meat fillings...satisfying snack!
Recipe source : 台湾小吃图解版
Ingredient (6 rolls)
- 200gm pork fillet, diced
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 600gm peeled yam, finely shredded
- 30gm fried shallots
- 4 tbsp potato starch
- 3/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp five spice powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 100ml water
- Combine filling and mix evenly. Leave to marinate for 30mins.
- Place shredded yam into a mixing bowl. Stir in fried shallots.
- Add in the rest of the seasoning and mix well. Mixture will be slightly sticky.
- Line 6 bowls with microwavable cling wrap. Fill in some yam mixture followed tbsp of meat filling. Cover the top with more yam mixture. Press down firmly. Seal the cling wrap and bind firmly into a ball shape.
- Steam the yam ball in preheated steamer for 20mins.
- Cool down slightly and serve with sweet chilli sauce.