Oh I'm so addicted to curry and spicy chicken recently >.<" Think I need to 'rest' for quite sometime before I cook such dishes if not I my waistline will be out of control again hahahah...
Grilled Spicy Chicken (Ayam Golek)
- 3 stalk lemongrass, white section
- 4 kaffir lime leaves
- 250ml coconut milk
- 5 whole chicken leg
- 15 shallots
- 5 dried chillies, soaked to soften
- 6 cloves garlic
- 7 candlenuts
- 1 inch ginger
- 1 inch turmeric
- 1/2 inch galangal
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground fennel
1. Heat 5 tbsp oil in wok, add spice paste and saute till fragrant, for about 10-15mins.
2. Add in chicken, lemongrass & kaffir lime leave and stir to mix.
3. Add in coconut milk and bring to boil, lower heat and simmer for 10mins till gravy thickens. Stirring occasionally to prevent scorching at the base.
4. Transfer mixture into a oven proofed casserole and bake in preheated oven at 200 deg cel for 30mins, stirring twice in between.
The next day, I thaw the dish to room temperature, place the chicken on a baking sheet and bake at preheated oven at 180 deg cel for 30mins. Warm the extra gravy over stove and serve with the chicken and Nasi Hujan Panas (recipe below)
- 200gm basmati rice (soak for 10min, wash and drain)
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 stalk lemongrass, bruised
- 3 pandan leaves, knotted
- 1/2 cube chicken stock
- some red, green & yellow food colouring
- 2 cloves
- 2 cardamon
- 1 star anise
- 1/2 inch cinnamon stick
- 1/2 inch ginger, pounded
- 3 shallots, pounded
- 2 cloves garlic, pounded
- Heat 1 tbsp oil and 1 tbsp butter in pan.
- Add in all spices with lemongrass and pandan leaves and saute till fragrant, about 5mins.
- Add in basmati rice, stock cube and mix evenly.
- Transfer to a rice cooker or steamer, add in water and milk.
- When rice is cooked, pour in the colourngs onto 3 different spots and cover for another 15mins. DO NOT STIR AT THIS MOMENT.
- After 15mins, stir the rice to get an even mix of the colors.
- Serve with Ayam Golek.