Thursday, September 22, 2011

Gula Melaka Chiffon - Revisited

Wanted to clear my gula melaka & coconut milk, therefore chosen this recipe to try again. But my gula melaka not enough though so I substitute with more coconut milk and increase the sugar slightly :D



Original Recipe Click Here
Ingredient
  • 80gm gula melaka, chopped & melted
  • 150ml coconut milk
  • 6 egg yolks
  • 4 tbsp cooking oil
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 140gm plain flour
  • 6 egg whites
  • 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
  • 60g caster sugar

Method

  1. Combine egg yolks, cooking oil and salt. Stir in gula melaka and coconut milk. Sift in flour and fold until batter forms.
  2. Beat egg whites and cream of tartar until mixture forms soft peaks. Gradually add in sugar, beating at high speed until frothy and stiff peak form.
  3. Gently fold 1/3 beaten egg white foam into egg yolk batter until blended. Pour mixture into balanced meringue and gently fold till combined.
  4. Pour batter into ungreased 22cm tube pan. Bake in preheated oven at 160 deg cel for 40-45 mins. Remove from oven, invert cake onto table until completely cooled before unmoulding.

6 comments:

Iris said...

Hi Peng, I am going to bake this cake tomorrow. Just to cfm there isn't any baking powder in this recipe?

Peng said...

Iris...nope, not all chiffon needs baking powder, not necessary if you can get the meringue the right stage :)

Iris said...

Hi Peng, I baked this cake using plain flour. It turned out soft but heavy. Is a very nice cake but not the chiffon effect. If I want the chiffon effect, shd I replace by cake flour? Can you tell me how much flour and baking powder? Thanks!

Peng said...

Iris...did you measure the sugar & milk correctly? too much will make the cake dense. You can replace with cake flour, not necessary for baking powder if the meringue is well beaten.

Iris said...

Hi Peng, you are so right!!! I like coconut so much that I poured the whole packet of coconut milk (200ml). Aiyah...wasted my effort. Tonight, my dinner is your Pumpkin Fried beehoon. My family loves it. You are a true Baker and Chef! Thanks.

Peng said...

Iris....hahaha baking cakes is like science, ingredients must be specific lah :) Great to hear that your family enjoyed your dinner too!

Related Posts with Thumbnails