Tom kha kai is a Thai coconut soup..Kha means "galangal" & Kai means "chicken". It is a little spicy (I've reduced the chilli padi) and sour at the same time. Quite similar to Tom Yum Soup and this version is added with extra coconut milk.
Spice & herb ingredients for the soup base.
- 2 stalk lemongrass
- 2 chilli padi
- 4 coriander roots (removed leaves)
- 2 shallots, roughly chopped
- 6 thick slices galangal
- 3 kaffir limes leaves
- 1 liter homemade chicken stock
- 300gm skinless chicken breast, cubed
- 250ml coconut milk
- 300gm pumpkin, peeled & cut into chunks
- 1/2 tbsp fish sauce
- pinch of salt
- fresh lime juice for drizzling
- Bruise lemongrass, chilli padi & coriander roots. Combine with shallots, galangal, kaffir lime leaves & chicken stock in a pot, bring to boil. Simmer for 20mins, uncovered.
- Add chicken cube, diced pumpkin & fish sauce. Simmer for 10 mins or until pumpkin is tender but not mushy.
- Add in coconut milk and bring to a simmer. Season to taste with salt. Ladle soup into serving bowl, garnish with coriander leaves and some fresh lime juice to taste.