Tom kha kai is a Thai soup..Kha means "galangal" & Kai means "chicken". For a healthier version I used tetra pack 'lite coconut milk' instead of thick coconut milk.
- 2 stalk lemongrass
- 4 chilli padi
- 4 coriander roots (removed leaves)
- 2 shallots, sliced
- 6 thick slices galangal
- 3 kaffir limes leaves
- 1 liter homemade chicken stock
- 250gm chicken fillet, cubed
- 200ml coconut milk
- 280gm australian pumpkin, peeled & seeded
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 fresh lime juice
- salt to taste
- Bruise lemongrass, chilli padi & coriander roots. Combine with shallots, galangal, kaffir lime leaves & chicken stock in a pot, bring to boil. Simmer for 20mins, uncovered.
- Add coconut milk. Return to boil. Add chicken cube, diced pumpkin & fish sauce. Simmer for 10 mins or until pumpkin is tender but not mushy.
- Season to taste with salt. Serve hot & drizzle with fresh lime juice to taste.