Another twist to the traditional hot cross bun! This matcha flavoured hot cross bun is lightly spiced, no rum infused raisins or mixed peels so that the flavour won't be too overwhelming. You can taste the matcha as well as a hint of mixed spice!
Encased with red bean paste....so fusion ^0^ Matcha and red bean paste always go hand in hand.
Ingredient (8 buns)
*knead and first proofing using Kenwood BM250
- 150ml fresh milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- pinch of salt
- 60gm fine sugar
- 280gm bread flour
- 1 tbsp matcha powder
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 25gm butter, softened
- 7gm instant yeast
- 200gm red bean paste
- melted butter for glazing
flour paste : 30gm plain flour + 3 tbsp water
- Place the first nine ingredients listed according to the above sequence, into the bread maker pan. Select 'dough' function and let the machine knead and complete the first proofing, for 1.5 hours.
- After first proofing in bread maker, turn the dough onto a lightly floured work surface. Gently knead the dough and divide into 8 equal portions. Flatten each dough and wrap with 25gm red bean paste. Seal the edge firmly and shape it round. Place into a lined baking pan.
- Allow to proof for another 45 mins, until double in bulk. Glaze the surface with some milk and pipe the flour paste over.
- Bake in preheated oven at 180 deg cel for 180 deg cel for 25 mins. Remove pan from oven and brush melted butter over. Unmould and cool on wire rack.
kneading and first proofing in bread maker
Shaped and placed in baking pan for 2nd proofing
Freshly baked matcha hot cross bun with red bean paste filling
soft & fluffy!!