Happy 10th Birthday!
Nothing fanciful, just a simple and tasty orange chocolate chiffon cake! Trying to unmould the cake by hand....but flop hahaha So in the end I dusted the surface with plenty of snow powder and decorated with some canned mandarin orange.
Top with D.I.Y decorating flags to complete the look!
Nevermind that I could not achieve a wavy pattern look on the chiffon, the texture of the chiffon turns out well! Light and fluffy as what a chiffon should be :)
- 6 egg yolks
- 25gm fine sugar
- 75ml corn oil
- 100ml orange juice
- 150gm plain flour
- 1.5 tbsp cocoa powder
- zests from 2 oranges
- 6 egg whites
- 100gm fine sugar
- Using a wire whisk, beat yolks, sugar and zests until pale. Add in oil and orange juice. Mix well.
- Sift in plain flour into yolk mixture until smooth.
- Divide mixture into 2 portions. Sift in cocoa powder into one of the plain batter.
- In a clean dry bowl, beat egg whites till frothy. Add in sugar in 3 additions and beat till stiff peak forms.
- Divide meringue into 2 equal portions. Fold each portion into the plain batter and chocolate batter respectively.
- Scoop the plain batter into ungreased chiffon pan followed by the chocolate batter. Lightly drop the pan on a work top to remove any air bubbles.
- Bake in preheated oven at 160 deg cel for 55mins. Invert cake immediately and cool completely before removing it from pan.