Korean hot & spicy rice cake
Continue with my frenzy Korean cooking!!! hahaha no lah I just wanna to clear the rice cake after making the Korean Army Stew. ^0^ This dish looks so hot and fiery, actually it does not taste that spicy as it looks :) Perfect dish in this cooling weather!!
Some of the ingredients used in this tteokbokki
Recipe ref with modification: maangchi.com
- 450gm sliced rice cake
- 1/4 cup dried anchovies
- 1 pc 8" dried kelp
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1/2 cup julienned carrots
- 200gm fish cakes, thinly sliced
- 10 quail eggs, boiled & peeled
- 1/3 cup hot pepper paste
- 1 tbsp dried chilli flakes
- 1.5 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 3 stalks spring onion, cut into sections
- Rinse anchovies thoroughly. Place anchovies and kelp in a pot with 6 cups water. Bring to boil. Cook over medium heat for 15 mins. Discard the anchovies and kelp.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a deep pan. Saute onion till soft and fragrant. Add in carrot and fish, fry briefly.
- Add in rice cake, quail eggs and 2.5 cups stock. Bring to boil. Add in pepper paste, chilli flakes, sugar and fish sauce. Stir well till chilli paste is well dissolved.
- Simmer over medium low heat, stirring frequently for about 10 mins till mixture thickens and rice cake is softened.
- If mixture is too thick, add in more stock. Adjust taste by adding more sugar or fish sauce.
- Add in spring onion and simmer for another min. Remove from heat and serve immediately.