Not making any traditional baked mooncakes for coming Mid-Autumn Festival as I'm craving for some snowskin mooncakes instead. hehehe.....I thought snowskin mooncakes are much simple to make and you can consume immediately unlike the baked version which requires certain waiting time :D Can't wait to try it out after getting all the ingredients ready! Not wanting to be too ambitious I've planned to make 3 flavours which consist of durian, passionfruit and red wine cranberry.
MSW (猫山王) Durian Paste with Pandan Snowskin
Passionfruit Paste with Mango Snowskin & Red Wine Cranberry Paste with Berry Snowskin
Created some multi-coloured snowskin
Love the pastel shade of the snowskin
Cross-sectioned of the assorted mini snowskin mooncakes...is really soft! Almost squashed by me when slicing them ^0^
Using natural extract and fruit juice for snowskin to match with different fillings
This is my son trying to help me out with the mooncakes.....kids just wanna to have fun! ^0^
MSW Durian Pandan Mini Snowskin Mooncakes
Ingredient (approx. 20 x 50gm mooncakes)
Pure Durian Paste
(recipe ref from auntyyochana)
- 500gm fresh MSW durian puree
- 40gm fine sugar
- 1 tbsp kou fen (fried glutinous rice flour)
- 1/2 tbsp maltose
- 15gm corn oil
- 10gm wheat starch
- 20gm toasted melon seeds
- In a clean non-stick pan, dry fry the durian puree over low heat till dry, about 5 mins. (the cooking duration will depend on how moist is the durian puree) Add in sugar and continue to fry for 2 mins.
- Add in maltose and mix well.
- Finally add in oil, koi fen and wheat starch and cook till thick. When is ready the paste will starts to pull away from the edge of the pan. (maintain low heat during cooking process to prevent scorching the paste)
- Transfer the paste to a clean bowl and cool completely before kneading in melon seeds.
- The paste will be slightly sticky. Chill in fridge for 30 mins for ease of shaping. Divide into 25-30gm each for wrapping.
Pandan Snowskin Dough
(recipe modified from anncoojounal & lovingcreations)
- 40gm kou fen (糕粉) plus extra for dusting
- 40gm icing sugar
- 170gm KCT snowskin premix
- 40gm shortening
- 220gm boiled water (boil 500gm water with 3 pandan leaves, strained & chilled till used)*
- 1/2 -1 tsp thick pandan extract for colouring
- Sift kou fen, icing sugar and snowskin premix together into a mixing bowl.
- Combine 220gm pandan flavoured water with shortening and melt the shortening over low heat. Need not bring to boil. Stir in pandan extract.
- Pour the hot liquid into the flour mixture and stir with a spatula until a soft dough is formed.
- Allow it too cool down enough to handle before kneading till smooth.
- Portion the dough into 20-25gm each.
- (I wear a disposable hand gloves during moulding) Wrap filling with the dough, seal the edge and shape into a round ball. Dust the wrapped dough lightly with kou fen. Place the ball into mooncake plunger to shape it.
- Repeat till all fillings are used up. There may be some balanced of dough.
- Chill in air-tight container for at least 2 hours before consuming.
Note : Red Wine Cranberry Paste & Passionfruit Paste can be purchase at Kwong Cheong Thye. To make natural colour berry snowskin replaced boiled water with 220gm mixed berry juice. For mango snowskin, I've used 100gm boiled water + 120gm mango juice.