I think there's no need for me to introduce this lovely cake as it is 'baking' like hot cakes in the cyberworld! Me too wanting to experience some magical in my little kitchen hehehe ^0^....The cake is indeed very delicious! eggy and custardy texture! And yes did see 2 layers or 3 layers?? The custard layer is very very distinctive. The first 2 layers appeared rather similar, but if you take a closer look, the first layer is actually much more fluffier than the 2nd layer. Not too bad for my first attempt :) hopefully it will get better for my next magical baking ^0^
The batter is very runny so it is best to use a normal cake pan, not removable or springformed type and fully lined it before pouring in the batter :) It is normal for the cake to shrink slightly after removing from the oven.
Ingredient (7" square cake)
- 120gm unsalted butter
- 500ml milk
- 4 eggs, separated
- 120gm icing sugar
- 1 tbsp water
- 120gm plain flour
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
- icing sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 180 deg cel. Lightly grease and fully line a 7" square pan with baking paper slightly overhang the edge of the pan.
- Melt butter and set aside and cool down slightly. Warm the milk to lukewarm and set aside.
- Whip the egg whites till stiff peak formed. Set aside.
- In a separate mixing bowl, beat the egg yolks and sugar till light and creamy. Beat in melted butter and water for about 2 mins until evenly incorporated.
- Sift in flour and beat until combined. Slowly beat in milk and vanilla paste. Mixture will be watery.
- Fold in the beaten egg whites, 1/3 at a time. Fold in till all whites are evenly incorporated.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan and bake for 45-60 mins until the top is golden brown, or a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Remove cake from the pan and cool down completely on wire rack. Dust with icing sugar before serving. Best serve chill.