Sob sob.....can you believe out of the 10 yam puffs I've made , only 2 are in proper shape, the rest is disastrous!! They all break up during the frying process!! faint.....I follow the recipe strictly by frying in hot oil for 1 min, turn off heat and let puffs fry in cooling oil for 30 seconds, follow by turning on the heat again and fry till golden brown, but it did not turn out ok!! Does not know where gone wrong!? They actually started to break up when I turned off the heat :( Left with only 2 unfry puffs, I decided to cook the puffs directly in the hot oil without following the steps in the recipe. Ahhhhhh at least 2 decent looking yam puffs can put into picture, if not really waste my effort, time & energy but still feel very disheartened...doubt will try out this recipe again :(( Though is not a fool-proofed recipe, I still would like the share the recipe here.....
What happen to the broken puffs??? Hubby walked into the kitchen and saw it and said "dun waste food, I eat" hehehe poor hubby have to swallow the unpleasant looking puffs. The 2 better ones he left for me though I did offer him :P
Wu Kok, 芋角....我很丑可是很好吃 ;)
Mushroom & Chicken Fillings
Wrap up filling and mould into rounds
- 300gm yam, peeled and diced
- 75gm wheat starch
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp chicken stock granules
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp five spice powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 75gm butter, softened
- 20gm potato starch
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 300gm minced chicken
- 3 tbsp corn oil
- 160gm fresh shitake mushroom, finely diced
- 40gm butter
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 50gm butter
- 50ml milk
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp chicken stock granules
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 50ml water
- Steam yam for 25mins until soften. Transfer to a mixing bowl and mash. Add in wheat starch, sugar, chicken stock granules, sesame oil, five spice powder, salt & pepper. Mix well and chill in fridge for 30mins.
- Combine softened butter, potato starch and baking powder and mix well. Add in chilled yam mixture and knead into a smooth dough. Set aside.
- Make filling : Heat oil in pan, add in shallot and fry till fragrant. Tip in minced chicken and break up using the wok spatula. Stir fry till meat turns white. Add in mushroom and fry briefly.
- Add in butter, milk and seasoning and mix till butter melted. Add in cornstarch and water and cook till thicken. Set aside and cool slightly.
- To shape : Divide the dough in 10 balls. Lightly flour hand and flatten it into a circle. Place a heap tbsp of filling in the centre of the dough. Fold and pinch the edges to seal.
- Heat oil in a wok. (test oil temp : drop in a small piece of dough and it should float almost immediately) Slide in the puffs in batches and fry till golden brown. Drain on kitchen paper and serve hot.
Wow! You made my favorite dim sum dish! and I know it's not easy! looks yummy!
Poor thing! at least you still hv 2 consolation puffs!!never attempted this yam puff before, makes me scared hearing you making this ! LOL!
Lena...wahaha try if u dare maybe you can succeed :p let's see anyone in this event submit any similar dish ^.*
Yum! This is one of my top favorite Dim sum dish & you've done it. Sound quite tricky to make this delicious yam puff! But you are really courageous to try, I on the other hand was too scared to even think of making it myself. These yam puffs look tasty! :)
Post a Comment