Oh my, I simply loves this lovely pinkish bread!! My another new attempt on bread making using water roux! The texture is even more fluffy & delicate compared to 中种 Sponge Dough :D
This is how the red yeast rice looks like, I got it at medical hall for 36gm at S$1/-
65C Tangzhong, Water Roux
- 125gm fresh milk/ water
- 25gm high protein flour
- Pour milk into a small saucepan, add in flour and stir till flour is well dissolved.
- Cook over low heat and whisk continuously till a smooth paste is formed (I do not have a thermo to check whether the dough reaches 65C, but it roughly takes about 2mins)
- Cover the paste with a cling wrap touching the surface, leave to cool completely before using.
- 250gm high protein flour
- 2gm red yeast powder, 红曲粉
- 40gm sugar
- 4gm salt
- 4gm instant yeast
- 70gm Tangzhong
- 30gm egg
- 70gm milk
- 20gm unsalted butter, softened
- 60gm dried cranberries, pre-soaked in Rum, drained well before using
- Combine flour, red yeast powder, sugar, salt & yeast and mix evenly. Combine Tangzhong and mix lightly. Make a well in the centre.
- Add in egg & milk and mix into a rough dough. Knead for 5mins. Add in softened and knead for another 10mins until the dough is smooth & elastic.
- Add in dried cranberries and knead till the berries are well incorporated. Cover and proof for 60mins.
- Lightly punch down the proofed dough and knead to release gas. Divide dough into 180gm each and roll into rounds, rest for 15mins.
- Roll out each dough into a rectangular shape and roll up like a swiss roll. Seal the seams tightly and place the dough into a well greased loaf pan. Cover and proof for another 1.5hours until double in bulk.
- Bake in preheated oven at 180 deg cel for 25mins. Remove from oven and unmould immediately and cool completely on wire rack.
It's still rice?
That's coated with red yeast?
Ohhh.. must go to buy some.
Wendy....me sotong leh not sure of this ingredient also, but i know pple use this to make 红糟
Thanks for showing the red yeast rice. Never think of geting raw red yeast rice and grind into powder. FYI I bake 红糟 loaf bread too with your sponge dough recipe. But with the fermented type. Will post it soon. By the way any distinct smell from the red yeast rice?
Vivian...using the raw red yeast powder actually dun give any distinctive taste to bakes compare to fermented type. Hope to see ur post soon cos I've got a btl of homemade fermented one in fridge!! :D
thanks for showing the red yeast rice, i've not seen the rice before, the last time i made red velvet was using the red yeast powder but becos it was added with cocoa powder, the red was not distinctive.
Lena..no problem :D yah i ur red velvet cake :D will try that some day too.
Post a Comment