Oh my, I simply loves this lovely pinkish bread!! My another new attempt on bread making using water roux! The texture is even more fluffy & delicate compared to 中种 Sponge Dough :D
This is how the red yeast rice looks like, I got it at medical hall for 36gm at S$1/-
65C Tangzhong, Water Roux
- 125gm fresh milk/ water
- 25gm high protein flour
- Pour milk into a small saucepan, add in flour and stir till flour is well dissolved.
- Cook over low heat and whisk continuously till a smooth paste is formed (I do not have a thermo to check whether the dough reaches 65C, but it roughly takes about 2mins)
- Cover the paste with a cling wrap touching the surface, leave to cool completely before using.
- 250gm high protein flour
- 2gm red yeast powder, 红曲粉
- 40gm sugar
- 4gm salt
- 4gm instant yeast
- 70gm Tangzhong
- 30gm egg
- 70gm milk
- 20gm unsalted butter, softened
- 60gm dried cranberries, pre-soaked in Rum, drained well before using
- Combine flour, red yeast powder, sugar, salt & yeast and mix evenly. Combine Tangzhong and mix lightly. Make a well in the centre.
- Add in egg & milk and mix into a rough dough. Knead for 5mins. Add in softened and knead for another 10mins until the dough is smooth & elastic.
- Add in dried cranberries and knead till the berries are well incorporated. Cover and proof for 60mins.
- Lightly punch down the proofed dough and knead to release gas. Divide dough into 180gm each and roll into rounds, rest for 15mins.
- Roll out each dough into a rectangular shape and roll up like a swiss roll. Seal the seams tightly and place the dough into a well greased loaf pan. Cover and proof for another 1.5hours until double in bulk.
- Bake in preheated oven at 180 deg cel for 25mins. Remove from oven and unmould immediately and cool completely on wire rack.