My 24cm tart mould is really under-utilised, the only time I used is baking the fruit tart which is quite sometime back! ^-^ I roll out the pastry between 2 sheets of plastic, therefore not messy at all 'cos no need to dust the surface nor rolling pin! After which I remove 1 side of the plastic and in one quick action flip the pastry on the tart mould :D Not as difficult as you think though :D Lazy to do other cooking today, so this big pie will last me throughout the day!!
Recipe adapted from Alan Ooi 'In The Mood for Pastries & Tarts'
Short Crust Pastry
- 200gm plain flour
- 110gm unsalted butter, cut into small cubes & chilled
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2.5 tbsp water
- Combine flour & salt in a mixing bowl. Add in cubed butter and knead with fingertips till mixture becomes crumbly.
- Add in water and mix till a dough formed.
- Shape into ball and press it flat. Wrap in clingwrap and chill in fridge for 30mins.
- Short Crust Pastry
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 50gm onion, sliced
- 150gm fresh button mushroom, diced
- 50gm yellow capsicum, chopped
- 50gm red capsicum, chopped
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 150ml whipping cream
- 50ml milk
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- 1 tsp mixed herbs
- 100gm grated cheddar cheese
- Roll out short crust pastry to 28cm diameter. Press it into a 24cm tart mould. Prick some holes in it with a fork. Line with a greeaseproof paper and place some rice/beans over to prevent base from bulging up . Bake in preheated oven at 180 deg cel for 15mins.
- Heat oil in pan, fry onion till soften and light brown. Add mushroom & capsicum and fry till fragrant. Remove and set aside.
- Mix eggs, cream, milk, salt & pepper together. Strain mixture. Stir in mixed herbs. Place cheddar cheese evenly into tart base. Spread mushroom mixture evenly over cheese, pour in eggs mixture. (careful not to let the liquid mixture overflow the tart base, or else it will be difficulty in removing the tart after baking)
- Bake in preheated oven at 180 deg cel for 25-30mins or until golden brown.
This looks pretty n yummy... May I ask : isn't this called a quiche? The ingredients seem similar.
Michelle....quiche is just a French term for pie, there are many versions of quiche making, mushroom pie is one of the way.
Post a Comment