Ever wonder how many types of grains are there in the world? Take a look at this site (http://www.foodsubs.com/Rice.html), you will be amazed by the varieties of rice available besides the usual white grain rice we consume everyday! In fact polished white rice is not as nutritious compare to brown rice and other whole grains as most fibre & minerals have been striped. Therefore to make plain porridge more nutritious, I've added other grains like Buckwheat (荞麦), Millet (小米) and Quinoa (pronounced as Keen-Wah). Luckily my boy is not a fussy eater, he finishes all the porridges I've prepared for him :)
Buckwheat Porridge (荞麦粥)
- 1/3 cup buckwheat
- 1/4 cup rice
- 4 cups ikan bilis stock (can use chicken stock or just water)
- Rinse buckwheat & soak in water for 2hrs.
- Wash rice and combine buckwheat in a pot with 3 cups stock. Bring to boil.
- Simmer for 20 mins. Add some more stock if the porridge is too thick.
Nutritious Value & Recipe on Buckwheat:
- 1/3 cup Quinoa (keen-wah)
- 1/3 cup rice
- 5 cups stock
- Rinse quinoa & rice over a sieve and place in a pot. Add stock and bring to boil.
- Simmer for 15-20mins until cooked.
Millet Porridge (小米粥)
- 1/4 cup millet
- 1/4 cup rice
- 5 cups water
- Rinse millet & rice over a sieve.
- Place rice in pot of water and bring to boil. Cook on medium heat for 15-20mins.
Brown Rice Pork Ribs Porridge (排骨糙米粥)
- 1/2 cup brown rice
- 250gm pork ribs
- 5 large seedless red dates
- 1500ml cups water
- salt to taste
- Rinse brown rice thoroughly and soak in water for 2 hrs.
- Blanch pork ribs in boiling water.
- Place water, pork ribs and red dates in a pot. Bring to boil. Lower heat and simmer for 1 hr. Add brown rice and simmer for 45mins-1hr till rice is softened. Add salt to taste.