Do you know that bread making can be really therapeutic and addictive at the same time, especially when you manually hand knead the dough? ^0^ The moment we finished the Chocolate Marble Bread, I did another version with matcha flavour, one of my favourite flavours. This time round I plucked up my courage by making a matcha sheet filling! Phew....was really worrying that I will destroy the whole dough during the rolling and folding process. So glad that it all went really quite smoothly, better than expected!
Placing the chilled matcha filling sheet on rolled out dough
Wrapped up the matcha sheet filling entirely, followed by rolling out and folding up
Recipe source : 'Original Flavours' by Carol
- 20gm bread flour
- 5gm cornstarch
- 1 tbsp matcha powder
- 40gm sugar
- 15gm milk powder
- 80ml milk
- 1 egg white
- 15gm unsalted butter, softened
- Sift bread flour, cornstarch and matcha powder together in a medium saucepan.
- Add in sugar and milk powder and whisk well.
- Add in milk, butter and egg white. Whisk well.
- Place the saucepan over stove. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, till a paste is formed.
- Remove from heat. Cool down. Transfer the matcha filling onto a large piece of cling wrap. Seal the wrap.
- Using a rolling pin, roll out the filling into a 18cm x 18cm rectangle. Chill the filling overnight.
Simply love this lightly matcha flavoured loaf bread! As I left with some whipping cream in fridge, therefore I decided to make my favourite hokkaido milk loaf and incorporate the matcha filling sheet. Oh my is so soft & fluffy!
Matcha Marble Bread Loaf
Ingredient (one 20cm x 10cm x 10cm loaf)
- 270gm bread flour
- 30gm cake flour
- 1 tsp instant yeast
- 30gm milk powder
- 40gm sugar
- 9gm salt
- 30gm beaten egg
- 125gm milk
- 75gm whipping cream
- 1 portion Matcha Filling Sheet
- Place all the dry ingredient into a mixing bowl.
- Combine egg, milk and whipping cream. Stir to mix well.
- Pour the liquid mixture into the dry ingredient. Use a scrapper to mix it into a rough dough.
- Knead the dough for about 10mins until smooth and non-sticky. Cover with a damp cloth and proof for 60mins or until double in bulk.
- Punch down dough and knead lightly. Rest the dough for another 15 mins.
- Lightly flour a working surface. Roll out dough into a large rectangle. Place the chilled matcha filling over the centre of the rolled out dough.
- Fold up the 2 edges and seal all the edges tightly. Dust some flour over the dough. Roll out the dough and make 2 folds. Turn the dough 90 deg. Roll out again and make another 2 folds.
- Roll out again and cut into 3 thick strips. Pleat up the strips. Place it into loaf pan and proof in a warm area for another 60mins until it reaches the ream of the pan.
- Bake in preheated oven at 180 deg cel for 40 mins.
- Unmould and cool on wire rack completely before slicing.
This post is linked to the event, Little Thumbs Up organised by Bake for Happy Kids and My Little Favourite DIY, and hosted by Diana from the Domestic Goddess Wannabe