I like savoury tarts or pies but I don't make it often 'cos of its slightly long procedure :) I will usually pre-made the crust dough the night before if I plan to serve it for lunch. This way I can have more time in the morning to do other stuffs :) I made a few modifications in the original recipe. I've replaced some of the plain flour with wholemeal flour and using vegetarian ham instead. A hearty and wholesome savoury tart which my family enjoy tremendously!
Make the dough and chill for at least 60 mins before rolling out. After fitting the dough into tart pan, return to fridge and chill for another 30 mins before blind-baking. After blind-baked, the crust is bake for another 10-15 mins to brown it slightly, thereafter then add in the fillings and bake for about 30 mins. At least 2.5 hours from kneading the dough to preparation of the fillings. This is the reason why I prefer the break the work into 2 days hahaha.
Can you see the flakiness of the tart crust?
(with slight modifications)
- 125gm plain flour
- 60gm wholemeal flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 120gm cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- 3-4 tbsp icy cold water
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium shallots, sliced
- 300gm asparagus spears, cut into 1" long
- 200gm vegetarian ham, cut into small cubes
- black pepper to taste
- 120ml milk
- 120mlk dairy whipping cream
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1.5 cups grated Gruyere cheese
- Place the flour, salt & sugar in a mixing bowl. Using pastry cutter or your fingertips, rub in cold butter cubes into the flour mixture until resembles coarse meal.
- Add in a couple tbsp of icy cold water and knead till the mixture begins to come together into a dough. Do not over knead or else the crust will be tough instead of flaky! Small bits of butter will be visible on the dough which is fine.
- Flatten the dough into a round disc, flour lightly the both sides and cling wrap for at least one hour.
- On a lightly flour surface, roll out the chilled dough into a 11" circle and fit into a 9" round tart pan with a removable bottom. Press the dough into corners. Chill for at least 30 mins.
- Line the pastry with parchment papers, filling with baking weights e.g.. rice or dried beans. Bake in preheated oven at 180 deg cel for 15 mins. Remove from oven and cool down for a few minutes. Carefully remove parchment paper and weights. Poke the bottom of the pie pan with a fork and return to the oven and bake for another 10mins until slightly brown. Transfer to a wire rack to cool while making the fillings.
- Heat oil in a non stick pan over medium high heat. Add shallots and fry till fragrant about 1 min.
- Add asparagus and stirring frequently about 5-8 mins. Cool mixture.
- Place tart pan on a baking sheet. Sprinkle half of the cheese evenly over the bottom of the crust. Spread asparagus and ham over the cheese and top with remaining cheese.
- Whisk milk, cream and eggs together. Season with pepper. Pour over cheese fillings.
- Bake in preheated oven at 200 deg cel for 30 mins or until the centre is just set.
- Cool on wire rack for about 10 mins before slicing.
I am submitting this post to Bake-Along #62 : Theme - Savoury Pie/Tart hosted by Joyce, Lena and Zoe
This post is linked to the event Little Thumbs Up (June 2014 Event: Butter) organised by Zoe (Bake for Happy Kids) and Mui Mui (My Little Favourite DIY) and hosted by Jozelyn Ng (Spice Up My Kitchen)