Thursday, October 13, 2011

白糖糕

First time trying out this recipe and not sure what to expect, will it be successful? dun think so much, I just go ahead with it after studying the recipe :P After mixing all the ingredients, it becomes a bowl of rice liquid! Thought it would be a soft dough. Again just proceed to steam the pan of 'liquid' after resting it for 6hrs :D Curious to see how it turns out like, I open the cover after steaming for 25mins and see that it has risen and cooked!

Quite satisfy with the texture, it does feel 'don-in don-in' when I cut into slices :D Leftover can be chilled in fridge, just re-steam slightly to serve again.



Ingredient
  • 300gm rice flour
  • 200ml water
  • 200gm sugar
  • 250ml warm water
  • 1 tsp instant yeast
Method
  1. Using a wooden spoon, combine rice flour with 200ml water and mix into a soft dough.
  2. Dissolve yeast into warm water. Stir in sugar.
  3. Pour yeast mixture into method (1). Stir evenly. Strain mixture.
  4. Cover bowl with a damp cloth and rest for 6 hours.
  5. Grease a 8" / 9" square pan and line with plastic sheet, grease again. Stir mixture and pour into pan and steam over medium heat for 30mins. Cool completely before unmoulding and slice.

15 comments:

hanushi said...

The texture is lovely!!! :)

Puan Ros @ Sinaranmenu.blogspot said...

I have tried to made this kueh 2 times and failed.How sad.Will give a try again using your recipe.
Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Hi ur pat tong koh is really nicely done. will give it a try. thanks for sharing

lena said...

peng, i love eating this kueh and i love your double layer honeycombe effects on this kueh!

Hearty Bakes said...

Hi Peng, thanks for sharing this, my childhood favorite. This recipe is fuss free compare with some that take days to prepare. I'm going to try this out. One ques tho, can I use baking paper to line tray or grease the tray instead of the plastic sheet u mentioned? TIA!

Peng said...

Hearty Bakes...yes I believe u can use baking paper also or just grease the tray, cos I scare stick to the pan so I lined with plastic sheet :D or yes my fren told me some recipe use 酒饼 and rest for 1 day! of course this will yield a better texture compare to the simply version I've done :D

Peng said...

lena...yes is double layer! not that I stick 2 pieces together :D quite surprise to see this effect also..

Hearty Bakes said...

Thanks Peng for your reply. Cant wait to give this a go cos my mum likes to eat this too.Will keep you posted and link you after I tried.

Hearty Bakes said...

Hi Peng, I tried and failed :(
Mine turned out dense, no honeycomb effect at all.I follow to the T, but not sure why it dint turned out right. Will give it a try again next time.

Peng said...

Hearty Bakes...oh oh :(...hope u succeed the next time. Make sure ur yeast is still active and not expire :P other than this I dun see any other problem as I also follow the recipe book exactly did not amend any ingredients nor steps.

Anonymous said...

Just tried:) waiting for another 4hours and I can steam :x hope I'll 成功!

Unknown said...

Hi Peng, do we need to soak the yeast in the warm water until the bubble is seen? Tks :)

Peng said...

Shuyin...no need, just continue with the recipe after it dissolve in the water.

Bell Ng said...

I've tried two timez, first time after resting for hours the flour and water seems like separated, there's a layer of water on top of those flour, so...failed. Now i tried the second time, hopefully it'll be alright. I'm using instant yeast too, i've googled saying instant yeast can straight away put into the dough and do not need to dissolve in water first, is it? They said instant yeast has smaller particles hence will auto dissolve in the dough. I doubted that soooo cause now I've put the instant yeast into the dough directly, it seems not-that-easy-to-dissolve though, however im letting it rest see how's the result.

Peng said...

Bell Ng....yes instant yeast can be directly add into dough when making bread cos it dissolves easily when liquid is added. But you read my recipe instructions carefully, the yeast to be dissolved in warm water first followed by the sugar before adding into dough. Strained the mixture to remove lumps then rest it. Hope your 2nd attempt turn out fine.

Related Posts with Thumbnails