Total cost for this meal : S$17.00
Steamed Mixed Greens with Oyster Sauce : S$3.00
Laotian-Style Chicken Fricassee : S$7.00
Winter Melon & China Barley Soup : S$7.00
Steamed Mixed Greens with Oyster Sauce
- 20ogm baby bak choy (S$1.50)
- 100gm baby kailan (S$0.75)
- 100gm baby cai xin (S$0.75)
- 1 tbsp vegetarian oyster sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- Wash and clean the vegetables well. Place in a preheated steamer and steam for 8mins. Remove from fire. Stir in oyster sauce and sesame oil and mix well.
Laotian-Style Chicken Fricassee
- 1 chicken, chopped (S$5.80)
- 700gm very ripe tomatoes, diced (S$1.20)
- 7 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 4 tbsp good quality fish sauce
- 3/4 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 spring onion
- 2 tbsp oil
- Marinate chicken with 1/2 minced garlic, 2 tbsp fish sauce, sugar & black pepper for at least 30mins.
- Cut off and mince white section of spring onion, reserve dark greens part for garnish.
- Heat oil in a large pan, fry chicken in batches if necessary, until golden brown but not cooked through. Remove and set aside.
- With remaining oil in pan, add garlic, onions & spring onion. Fry for 1 min until fragrant. Add tomatoes and remaining 3 tbsp fish sauce and stir-fry for 2mins, until tomatoes start to give up liquid.
- Return chicken to the pan and stir well. Bring to boil. Half-cover pan and cook for 25 mins, stirring occasionally until chicken is tender and sauce is thick. Dish up and garnish with reserved green spring onions.
Winter Melon & China Barley SoupIngredient
- 800gm Winter Melon (S$1.60)
- 60gm China Barley (S$0.60)
- 15gm wolfberries (S$0.50)
- 300gm lean pork (S$4.20)
- salt to taste
- Blanch pork in boiling water for 1min.
- Peel and cut winter melon into small cubes.
- Wash and soak wolfberries in some water. Set aside.
- Fill a stock pot with 8 cups water, add pork, winter melon & china barley. Bring to boil. Lower heat and cook for 1.50 hrs. Add wolfberries and salt. Cook for another 10mins before serving.