Sunday, June 6, 2010

Old-Fashioned Marble Cake

This marble cake not only appealing to the eyes but also taste great! fluffy & moist texture....better than what I've bought at those neighbourhood's confectionery shop ^-^ so next time whenever I crave for a marble cake will bake one myself! I love the different swirl on each slice, therefore took so many pictures for this particular cake :) I will definitely bake this cake again & again using different flavour like Green Tea, Coffee, Berries.....oh this cake gives me so much inspiration!!





Ingredient
  • 250gm unsalted butter
  • 200gm sugar
  • 4 eggs
  • 250gm self-raising flour, sifted
  • 1 tbsp condensed milk
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
  • 2 tbsp cocoa, sifted
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 3 tbsp warm water
  • 2 tbsps finely chopped mixed peel
Method
  1. Line the base of a 8" round cake pan and greased the sides and base.
  2. Dissolve the cocoa powder & baking powder with warm water till smooth. Set aside.
  3. Cut butter into small cubes to make creaming easier. Place butter & sugar in a mixing bowl. Beat at low speed till butter & sugar is evenly combined. Increase speed to medium and beat for 5mins or until mixture is pale & fluffy. Do not overbeat (overbeat will cause butter to melt)
  4. Add eggs one at a time beating for 1 to 2 mins in between each addition. The batter will be light & fluffy.
  5. Combine condensed milk, water & essence together. With a balloon wire whisk, fold in half of the sifted flour and milk mixture. Fold in remaining flour & milk. Do not beat or stir the mixture. Divide the mixture into 2 equal portions.
  6. Fold in cocoa mixture into 1 portion. Do not over-mix. Add the mixed peel to the other portion.
  7. Spoon alternate batters into the cake pan. Using a knife swirl the batters twice to achieve a marbled effect.
  8. Bake in preheated oven at 160 deg cel for 60mins - 75mins or till a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. (Note : Cover cake surface with a foil at the last 10mins to prevent over browning, my oven took 70mins to bake) Cool the cake in tin for 10mins before running a knife around the edge and turning it out to cool completely on a wire rack.

7 comments:

IRENE said...

Hi Peng,

I have tried your old-fashioned Marble Cake last nite and it came out so successful (moist and soft texture)and I'm so happy with the result. It took about 1 hour 20 mins to cook and I followed yr instruction-I covered cake surface with foil to prevent over browning. Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe.

Peng said...

Hi Irene...glad that ur cake turns out great :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Peng,

I would like to try baking the marble cake. May i know what is 2tbsp finely chopped mixed peel? Where can I find that?

Thanks !

yenling said...

Hi Peng,

I've made this marble cake today n its really moist and successful. Though my swirl is not really giving an equal effect..

I reduce the bbutter to 225gm. Instead of using mixed peel, I added some choc. chips on top as garnishing ^_*

Thanks for ur lovely recipe~

yenling said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
yenling said...

by the way, it took me 35 minutes only for baking, maybe my conventional oven is small in size??

Thx again~

Peng said...

Yenling....i checked my cake after 1hr is still sticky in the middle so i extend the baking time :) think different oven work differently.

Mixed peel can be find at supermarket, if not u can omit that if not available.

Related Posts with Thumbnails