A special meatloaf for lunch I've prepared for my family instead of the usual rice or noodle. I love ready rolled puff pastry sheet, it really save my day! Just fill up any ingredients you like, rolled up and bake it and instantly you get piping hot puff pastry. Yummy! For this chicken meat roll, I've added additional rolled oats to enhance its taste and texture. My kids never like rolled oats, other than rolled oat cookies. :D They don't even realise what I've hidden in this wholesome tasty meatloaf! ^0^
Marmite mushroom sauce is optional but it really compliments this marmite chicken roll puff pastry! My kids could not stop helping themselves with the rich flavour gravy!
- 1 small onion, diced
- 500gm minced chicken
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp italian mixed herbs
- 3/4 cups sun dried tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 2 tsp marmite
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 sheets puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg, for glazing
- Combine all filling ingredients and mix well together. Place a sheet of puff pastry on a lined baking sheet. Place the filling onto the puff pastry. Shape into a large loaf and roll the pastry up, seam side facing down.
- Cut the other puff pastry into stripes. Lay the stripes diagonally over the rolled pastry. Brush with egg wash all over.
- Bake in preheated oven at 180 deg cel for 35-40 mins, or until the pastry is golden brown. Remove from oven and rest it for 5 mins before serving alongside with marmite mushroom sauce and salads.
Marmite Mushroom Sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 garlic, minced
- 6 shiitake mushroom, diced
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 tsp Marmite
- 1 tsp chicken powder seasoning
- 1 tsp mixed italian herbs
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 cups hot water
- Heat oil in pan. Add onion, garlic and mushroom. Fry over medium low heat for 5 mins until soft and fragrant.
- Push the mushroom to the side of the pan. Add butter in the middle. Add flour to the melted butter. Stir for a minute. Add hot water and combine with the mushroom mixture. Bring to a simmer.
- Add marmite, chicken powder seasoning, herbs, sugar and pepper.
- Simmer the mixture over low heat, stirring occasionally until it thickens, for about 10 mins.