Thanks XL for introducing to me this natural yeast called Herman Starter. I've always curious with sourdough starter which seems rather complex to me. She assured me that this Herman Starter is much more user friendly and only require feeding it every 5 days to maintain its activeness. The top picture is the starter blessed by XL and after feeding 1:1:1:1 starter : milk: flour: sugar, it bubbled very well! After 5 days of fermentation, its ready for use! A portion was set aside, feed and maintain for another 5 days....the cycle goes go...hopefully it will stay active!
The first recipe I've tried using the Herman Starter is this fluffy natural yeast pancake! Soft and tender crumbs with lovely yeast fragrant.
- 100gm Herman starter
- 200gm cake flour
- 20gm sugar
- 30gm melted butter
- 230ml fresh milk
- Sift cake flour into a mixing bowl. Add in sugar and stir well to combine.
- Add in Herman starter, fresh milk and melted butter. Whisk to combine everything into a smooth thick batter.
- Cover the bowl with a damp cloth and allow it to proof in a warm area for 2-3 hours until double in bulk.
- Lightly grease a non stick pan. Drop about 1/4 cup batter into hot pan and pan fry over low heat till golden brown at the base. Flip over and cook the other side. Repeat till batter is completed.
- Serve warm with maple syrup and butter.