Today let's enjoy a pot of hearty and nourishing Korean ginseng chicken soup!
Soft and moist glutinous rice perfectly cooked!
Simple ingredients! fresh ginseng root, red dates and garlic.
Fill pot with water to submerge the whole chicken and let it simmer till cooked. Simple and delicious!
- one 1.4kg fresh chicken, feet and neck removed
- 1/2 cup glutinous rice, rinsed and soaked in water for at least 1 hour
- 1 large fresh ginseng root, rinsed thoroughly
- 4 large red dates
- 1.5 bulbs garlic
- 2 stalk spring onion, sliced
- salt & black pepper to taste
- Trim away excess fats and rinse the chicken inside out thoroughly. Rub some salt all over including cavity and set aside for 30 mins. Rinse again.
- Drain the glutinous rice and stuff into chicken cavity. Stuff in fresh ginseng, 2 red dates and 10 cloves garlic. Seal the end with a toothpick.
- Place the stuffed chicken into a deep casserole. Add in remaining red dates and garlic into the pot. Fill the pot with 2.5 litres water, cover and bring to boil. Cook on medium heat for 30mins.
- Turn down heat to low and cook for another 40 mins, pot covered until the chicken and rice turn soft. In between cooking time, ladle some broth over the chicken.
- Add salt and black pepper to taste. Remove from heat and garnish with spring onion before serving.