After double boiling for 4 hours, a bowl of 250ml pure chicken essence is extracted from two black chickens (乌鸡)! Think I should make this weekly for the benefit of my health! With added Huiji Waist Tonic, it boasted the nutritious value of this homemade chicken essence!
Ingredient (yields 250ml)
- 2 black chicken 乌鸡
- 2 tbsp Bentong ginger juice 文东姜汁
- 1-2 tbsp Huiji Waist Tonic
- Rinse black chicken thoroughly and pat dry with kitchen paper. Remove the skin and chop the chicken into small pieces.
- Use the back of a cleaver, smash the chicken parts to break up the bones.
3. Place a small bowl into a large heatproof casserole. Place the chopped chicken around the edge of the small bowl. (as per pic. below) Cover the casserole.
4. Bring a pot of water to water to boil. Place a rack in the centre. Place the covered casserole onto the rack. Cover the pot and let the water boil for 10 mins. Turn down the heat to low and double boil for 4 hours. Top up hot water in between if the water dries up.
5. Turn off heat after 4 hours. Remove the casserole from the steamer. Cool down slightly. Remove chicken from the bowl and discard it. Carefully remove the small bowl to retrieve the chicken essence trapped beneath. Strain the essence into serving bowls. Drizzle Huiji Waist Tonic over and mix well before serving.
This is how it looked after removing the chicken meat. The bowls looked dry....where is the essence!!??
The essence is vacuumed beneath the small bowl! Love the golden hue essence!
Pour in a tbsp of Huiji Waist Tonic prior to serving!