Today marks the last day of Lunar New Year!!...Let's enjoy a bowl of super cute glutinous rice balls to celebrate this 元宵节！
Recipe ref : travellingfoodies.com
Black Sesame Paste
- 100gm black sesame seeds
- 100gm fine sugar
- 50gm salted cold butter
- In a clean dry pan, toasted the sesame seeds over medium low heat till fragrant.
- Transfer the warm seeds into a food processor and blend until coarse grain. Add in sugar and continue to blend till powder form.
- Add in butter and process into a paste.
- Divide the black sesame paste into 8gm balls. Place onto a lined tray. Chill or freeze till firm until use.
- 200gm glutinous rice flour
- 1 tsp rice flour
- 1 tbsp fine sugar
- 150ml warm water
- food colouring gel
Pandan Sugar Syrup : shredded pandan leaves, rock sugar and water
- Combine glutinous rice flour, rice flour and sugar in a mixing bowl.
- Pour in warm water and mix with a spatula till a rough dough is formed. Place the dough on a clean working surface and knead it till smooth and soft. Add more water if dough is too dry.
- Tint the dough with some food colouring gel if desired. Divide dough into 12-15gm portion. Cover the dough with damp cloth to prevent drying out.
- Flatten each dough and wrap in a portion of black sesame paste. Seal the edge tightly and place on a lined tray.
- To cook : Bring a pot of water to rolling boil. Turn down heat to medium and add in wrapped glutinous rice balls in batches. Stir gently and cook till the rice balls float to the surface.
- Transfer the cook glutinous rice balls into a bowl of clean water.
- To serve, scoop a few glutinous rice balls into serving bowl and ladle in pandan sugar syrup.