Our simple lunch today! Light and chilled noodle just right for this hot weather. The kids could not get enough of the lava egg! hahaha but too bad only one serving each ^0^ I've a small serving of spicy and non-spicy noodle each...slurpppp! In the end I could not resist and reached out for another helping of the spicy one :D Both are good, so depends which version you like best :D
Hot & spicy sauce
- 1 Korean pear, peeled, cored, sliced
- 1/4 large onion, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 thumb size ginger
- 1/3 cup corn syrup
- 1/4 cup Korean chilli flakes
- 2 tbsp Korean hot pepper paste
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- 1 stalk spring onion, shredded
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- Place all ingredients into a food processor. Blend till smooth.
- Scoop out sauce and place in a air-tight container. Chill in fridge.
Cold Spicy Noodle (Bibim-naengmyeon)
- 4 dried shiitake mushroom
- 4" piece of dried kelp
- 10 dried large anchovies, heads removed
- 3 tsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp sugar
- Boil 8 cups of water with mushroom, kelp and anchovies for 20 mins.
- Lower heat and simmer for another 20 mins. Cool down the broth. Strain and chill in fridge.
- To serve, combine 2 cups of the broth with vinegar, salt and sugar and stir well.
- 2 Japanese cucumber
- 1 Korean pear
- 4 Lava eggs
- 1 package buckwheat noodles
- toasted sesame seeds
- Slice cucumber into think strips. Add 1/2 tsp salt, 2 tsp sugar and 2 tsp vinegar and mix well. Keep chilled.
- Peel and remove core of the pear. Slice and soak the pear in water and add 1 tsp sugar to prevent browning.
- Bring a pot of water to boil. Add noodles and cook for 5 mins. Drain away water and rinse a few time till water runs clear. Place a cup of ice cube over the noodle to keep to chill.
* Place some noodle in a serving bowl. Ladle over cold broth. Top with pickled cucumber, sliced pears and lava egg. Sprinkle toasted sesame seeds over.
* Place some noodle in a serving bowl. Spoon some spicy sauce over and toss well to mix. Top with pickled cucumber, sliced pears and lava egg. Sprinkle toasted sesame seeds over.
Cold noodle in chilled broth (Mul-naengmyeon)