Oh no I'm in love with honeycomb cake! ^0^ Compare to the Kuih Bingka Ambon I've done previously, this Caramel Honeycomb Cake tasted much lighter and softer with a spongy texture and deep caramel flavour, great to enjoy it with a cup of tea.
Making of the caramel syrup
Whisk egg, fold in condensed milk & flour followed by the caramel sugar, rest for 3 hours then ready to bake! Some recipes indicated it is not necessary to rest the batter for such long hours and still able to achieve the honeycomb texture. But on the safer side, I've chosen to rest it longer hopefully it will turn out right :D
After baking...the whole house lingering with rich caramel smell!
Cross-sectioned of the cake
Recipe ref : elinluvdelights.com
- 200gm sugar
- 240gm water
- 80gm butter
- 6 eggs
- 150gm condensed milk
- 180gm plain flour
- 2.5 tsp baking soda
- Place sugar in a deep saucepan and cook over low heat till golden brown. Slowly pour in water and stir till well combined. (Careful the mixture will splatter!)
- Add in butter and stir to combine. Remove pan from heat and cool down completely.
- In a clean mixing bowl, beat eggs until light. Add in condensed milk and stir till well combined.
- Sift in flour and baking soda into egg mixture till smooth. Lastly add in cooled caramel syrup and mix till well incorporated.
- Pour the batter into a 8" square greased pan. Let the mixture rest for 3 hours.
- Bake in preheated oven at 180 deg cel for 50-60 mins or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
I'm submitting this post to Best Recipes for Everyone March 2015 Event Theme: My Favourite Traditional Kueh organized by Fion of XuanHom’s Mom and co-hosted by Joceline - Butter, Flour & Me