Sufganiyot is basically a deep fried doughnut, a traditional Jerusalem food served during their Chanukah (Hanukkah) . Stranger to the culture and food of the Middle East, I've to google and find out what is Chanukah ^0^"" New knowledge gain with everyday cooking!!
Fresh cranberries is in seasoned again! It is relatively cheap at some supermarkets selling only S$4.95 for a 12oz pack :D Therefore every year of this time I'm sure to stock up a few packs and freeze them for later use. My kids enjoyed this little doughnut for their snacks, even if they are not filled with jam!
Proofing for 1 hour and thereafter cut into circles and rest for another 30mins before frying.
Fried doughnut before filling in the jam
Filled in homemade cranberry jam and dust with icing sugar before serving!
Ingredient (approx 25 doughnuts)
- 2 tsp instant yeast, approx 7gm
- 40gm sugar
- 6 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp orange juice
- 40gm unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 315gm bread flour
- 2 egg yolks
- Cranberry Jam or your choice of filling
- icing sugar
- Combine sugar, water, orange juice and yeast together. Let stand for 10 mins until frothy.
- Add melted butter to the yeast mixture. Add in egg yolk and salt.
- Pour the mixture into flour and knead to form a soft dough. Cover and proof for 1 hour until double in bulk.
- Lightly dust a working surface. Roll out dough into 1/4" thick and cut out circles, approx 2". Rest the circles for 30mins.
- Heat some oil in a medium saucepan, add doughnut dough in batches and fry till golden brown, turning once.
- Drain on kitchen paper and cool down completely.
- To fill in the jam, slit a small opening at the sides of the doughnut, pipe in adequate amount of cranberry jam, and dust with icing sugar before serving.
Making of cranberry jam which took only 30mins!
Homemade Cranberry Jam
- 200gm fresh/ frozen cranberries
- 240gm sugar
- 200ml water
- Combine all ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 30mins until slightly thickens. Jam will further thickens after cooling down.
- Cool down completely before piping into doughnut. Balance jam can be stored in clean glass container and chilled.