Nothing beats a simple bowl of tasty homecooked noodle! Well not exactly simple as it involves a few process to get the dish ready...frying the chilli paste, cooking the minced sauce, frying anchovies (I used ready to eat ones), poaching eggs and finally handmade noodle!! hehehe....I did the dry chilli paste in advance as it can be kept well in fridge :)
The minced meat sauce is very simple and straight forward which I did on the day itself. The poached egg? I never poach an egg before! It takes some skill and techniques and I give up after cooking 2 eggs >.< I will polish up my skill on this area before I attempt a proper egg benedict hahaha
Here comes the fun part, handmade noodle! Initially I followed the recipe too closely and I added too much water resulting a sticky dough. Do not wanting to waste time adding more flour to it, I discard that aside and start making another dough. This time round I've got the water proportion right and it turns out well! Most importantly it tasted exactly just like noodle after cooking hahaha glad is not hard and unchewable...If you are not into handmade noodle, just whip up this dish using any dried noodle of your preference, it will still taste as good! ^.*
Handmade Broad Noodle
Dried Chilli Paste
Patience...patience...took me nearly 44mins to fry the chilli paste till crumbly stage without scorching it >0<
Dried Chilli Paste
- 30gm dried chillies, softened
- 2 fresh red chillies, deseeded
- 2 medium-sized onions, roughly chopped
- 5 cloves garlic
- 30gm dried shrimp, softened
- 4 tablespoon vegetable oil
Method : Blend all of the (except oil) in a food processor. Heat the oil in pan under low heat and stir-fry the blended mix for 30-40 minutes until dry. Remember to watch your chilli paste and continue stirring to prevent burning. Cool completely before storing.
Minced Meat Sauce
- 500gm minced chicken (marinade in 1 tsp sesame oil, 1 tsp wine, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper & 1 tsp cornflour)
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely diced
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tsp dark soy sauce
- 3/4 cup chicken stock
- salt & pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in pan with medium-low heat and stir-fry diced onion and garlic for a minute or two.
- Add minced meat, use a spatula to break up the minced. Stir-fry until cooked.
- Add oyster sauce, dark soy sauce and chicken stock into the pan. Continue simmering the sauce until reduces to your preference. Adjust taste with salt & pepper.
Handmade Broad Noodle (2 servings)
- 125gm plain flour
- 60-80ml water
- pinch of salt
- Mix flour and salt.
- Add water gradually into flour and knead until a smooth and pliable dough is formed. Cover with damp cloth and rest for at least 30mins.
- Dust a working surface generously with some flour. Divide dough into 2 portions. Roll out each dough thinly. Flour the dough well as you fold up the rolled dough. Cut into strips using a large sharp knife. Unfold the strips of noodle.
- Bring a pot of water to rolling boil. Add in noodle and cook till done. Drain well and place into serving bowl.
To serve : Top each bowl of cooked noodle with minced meat sauce, dried chilli paste, fried anchovies, poached egg & spring onion. Toss well and ready tuck in!
mix it up and enjoy!
Recipe reference : wedarefood.blogspot.com
I'm submitting this post to Malaysian Food Fest KL Selangor Month hosted by Shannon of Just as Delish