First time trying making buttercream with egg yolks and the results turn out very well ~ smooth & creamy! :D :D Quite easy steps except the stage whereby need to heat up the yolk mixture, which I afraid that I will scrambled up the mixture, other then this the rest of the steps is a breeze :D
Recipe Adapted from 'I Love Marcrons' by Hisako Ogita
- 100gm unsalted butter
- 50ml milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 40gm sugar
- Soften butter and stir it till it becomes smooth and creamy like mayonnaise. (Do Not Melt The Butter!!)
- Combine egg yolks & sugar in a mixing bowl, whisk till pale & thick.
- Transfer egg yolk mixture into a small saucepan together with the milk. Simmer over low heat till thick and creamy..(Be Careful Not to Scrambled The Mixture!)
- Transfer above mixture into mixing bowl and whip with a electric whisk until pale & thick. When you can draw a clear line on spatula (refer to pic above), it has reached its right consistency.
- Add in softened butter in 3 batches and beat till thicken and hold its shape. Ready to be used as topping.
- Chilled buttercream to be thawed and stir till creamy before using.