After couple of ice-cream making using simple method like folding whipped cream into fruits puree, I have taken a further step by trying custard cooking method :) It involves only 3 main steps. Firstly beat the eggs & sugar till thick, secondly double-boiled the egg mixture with milk & flavours, lastly fold in whipped cream! Pop the mixture into freezer till set, no need to beat the mixture again during the freezing process. Sounds simple enough right :P
Only special care is needed during the custard cooking process. Cook the mixture over a simmering pot of water and stirring constantly with a wooden spoon. Though double boiling takes much longer time, it is much safer than cooking on direct heat as this reduce the risk of over cooking the custard which may result in cooked eggs instead. When the mixture thickens and coats the back of the wooden spoon, it is done!
Though I am using non-dairy cream, just to share my past experience on whipping cream :) I realise that dairy cream is more tricky to handle than non-dairy cream. I always take special care not to over whip the cream. If whip too long, the cream can curdle and separate and will turn into butter!. This is because prolonged beating has warmed the cream. To prevent this from happening, chill the mixing bowl & whisk in the fridge till very cold. If the weather is very hot I will also place the mixing bowl in a larger bowl filled with ice cubes before whipping up the cream.
Very satisfied with my ice-cream making, smooth & creamy texture. Taste simply divine!! I especially love the nutty flavour of the black sesame ice-cream! ^-^
Coconut Gelato extracted from Aunt Yochana
Black Sesame Ice-Cream
- 3 egg yolks
- 80gm sugar
- 75gm black sesame, toast & grind
- 250ml full cream milk
- 250gm non dairy whipping cream
- Whisk egg yolks and sugar till white and creamy.
- Double boil the egg yolk mixture over a pot of simmering water and stir constantly. Pour in milk and sesame paste, continue stirring until mixture is thick. (takes abt 15mins)
- Remove sesame custard mixture from heat and set aside to cool. (place in a bowl of ice cubes to speed up the process)
- Whisk non dairy whipping cream till soft peak and fold into the cooled custard.
- Pour into container and freeze overnight or until firm.
Post a Comment