Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Portugese Egg Tarts


The original dough recipe yields 8 tarts. After using up the dough I still left with some fillings, in the end I have to make some dough again. Therefore I have adjusted the recipe accordingly. The amount dough and filling is enough to make about 12 egg tarts. When placing the dough into the moulds, try not to line it too thick because during the baking process the layered crust will expand slightly.




Recipe from Tarts My Hearts by Kevin Chai
Ingredient

Oil Dough
  • 80gm melted butter
  • 140gm flour
Water Dough
  • 2 tsp sugar
  • 140gm flour
  • 40ml corn oil
  • 2 tbsp milk powder
  • 2 egg yolk
  • 40ml water
Filling
  • 100ml whipping cream
  • 50gm sugar
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 150ml milk
  • 1/4 tsp vanilla essence
  • 30gm grated cheddar cheese

Method
  1. To make filling, bring 50ml of whipping cream to boil, remove from heat. Stir in sugar until dissolved. Add in the remaining ingredients , stir well and strained. Set aside.
  2. Mix oil dough ingredients and water dough ingredients separately and knead to form dough. Divide each dough into 2 portions. Leave aside for a while.
  3. Roll out the water dough and wrap in oil dough well. Roll into rectangular shape and fold across into 4 layers. Roll out again and fold across into 3 layer. Repeat twice. Repeat with the remaining dough.
  4. Roll each dough into a  rectangular shape, roll up like a swiss roll. Cut into 6 slices and line in the moulds. Trim off edges.
  5. Pour fillings into moulds. Sprinkle grated cheese on top. Bake in preheated oven at 180 deg cel for 30 mins or until the surface turn to lightly burn and golden brown.






6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice! This is in my "to bake" list too. Hee.

Anonymous said...

Your tarts looks great!!

Peng said...

thanks!..but seems to have some problem with the recipe, still left some fillings so going to bake 2nd batch!..

Anonymous said...

What was the problem with the recipe?

Peng said...

oh...the original oil dough recipe ask for 70gm melted butter and 70gm flour..is to wet to wrap into the water dough! so i have to make some adjustment..luckily after adjusted the crust is crispy and flaky..

Anonymous said...

Hi Peng,

I tried this egg tarts last night. TAste wise..it is really good! Thanks for posting the recipe but I encountered some problem...hope u can advice....

1.I got grease n use fork to poke the dough in minitart shell but don know y after baking, some of my tart still stuck in the mould n some botton get burn! m I pour the filling too full?

2. I used about 35mins to bake my mini tart!!! n still cannot get the brown surface like yours leh....btw, I place them in lower rack of my overn...m I right?

Related Posts with Thumbnails