Kaya spread (Coconut Egg Jam) is one of my the favourite spread in my pantry. Toasty bread spread with thick layer of kaya and butter is such a comfort snack for me which I can have it anytime of the day. One day I discovered this fusion Kaya Bread Pudding from a newspaper and I could not wait to try it out! Who can resist the taste of kaya + coconut + pandan? Beware this is a really sinful and irresistible bread pudding I've ever made! The pandan leaf is infused with the coconut milk before pouring over the bread sandwich with kaya, together with eggs and some milk....wow so rich in taste and of course fattening too! Hehehe once in a while indulgence is fine, just serve along with more fruits for a healthier breakfast/snack. ^0^
- 250ml coconut milk
- 2 pandan leaves, knotted
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 8 heaps tbsp of Kaya (Coconut Egg Jam)
- 6 slices wholemeal bread
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 150ml milk
- Place coconut milk, pandan leaves and salt in a saucepan. Bring to a simmer and remove from heat when it bubbles at the edges. Cool completely.
- Spread some kaya over the slices of bread and sandwich it together. Cut the sandwich into quarters.
- Arrange the sliced bread into a oven-safe dish.
- Remove pandan leaves from the coconut milk. Mix in eggs and milk. Whisk in remaining kaya.
- Pour the milk mixture over the bread. Press down the bread with the back of the spoon to allow the bread to soak evenly with the milk mixture. Set aside for 30 mins.
- Place the dish into the oven and bake in preheated oven at 180 deg cel for 35-40 mins or until the custard is well set.