My kids love green bean soup but will always leave behind the cooked beans. Thought they will detest this fried mung bean fritters, but surprisingly they gobbled them up without hesitation! ^0^ Glad that they enjoy this little snack just as much as I do, another new snack item added to their food list :D
Before and after cooking the green mung beans
Mix the cooled mushy beans with brown sugar and grated coconut and shape into patties
Coat with batter and fry till golden and crispy
Ingredient (approx 15 pcs)
- 150gm green mung beans
- 50gm light brown sugar
- 50gm freshly grated coconut
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 50gm plain flour
- 25gm rice flour
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 80ml ice cold water
- Place mung beans in a deep saucepan. Cover with water completely, about 1.5 inch above the surface of the beans. Bring to boil. Lower heat and simmer till beans are tender and mushy. Stirring frequently near the end of the cooking time to prevent burning. Liquid should be all absorbed by the beans.
- Transfer the mush onto a flat plate to cool it down completely.
- Combine the cool boiled bean with sugar, grated coconut and salt. Mix thoroughly and shape into patties, approx 35gm each.
- For the batter : mix all the dry ingredients together. Slowly add in cold water until a nice coating batter is formed.
- Heat some oil in a wok. Dip the bean patties into the batter one by one and slide them into the hot oil. Fry the patties (in batches) until light golden brown and crispy. Drain well on kitchen paper and serve warm or at room temperature.