How time flies! My little girl has turned 5 years old yesterday! Seems like not long ago my little princess still rocking in my arms. Since her favourite colour is purple, I decided to bake a simple purple chiffon cake frosted with purple whipped cream ^0^ I've done a purple sweet potato chiffon before, but the cake did not turn out quite well. The texture was fine, just that he purple tone was not as prominent as the present one I done :D Really happy with this present purple sweet potato chiffon, nice purplish pink hue without the need of adding food colouring with soft and fluffy texture!
My first attempt to cover a 8" whole with rose swirl! I'm using a 2D wilton piping tip. The first tried was really ugly and messy that I've to scrap of the cream and re-pipe again hahaha...still look messy but glad my kids and hubby enjoyed eating the cake and 3/4 of the cake was gone last night!
Recipe ref : maameemoomoo.com
Ingredient (enough for one 7" & one 8" round pan)
- 200gm purple sweet potato, cubed
- 6 tbsp milk
- 1 lemon juice (divided into 2 portions)
- 6 egg yolks
- 40gm brown sugar
- pinch of salt
- 100ml corn oil
- 6 tbsp milk
- 170gm cake flour
- 8 egg whites, cold
- 100gm sugar
- Steam sweet potato till softened, add in milk and mashed till smooth and fine. Stir in 1 portion of lemon juice.
- Whisk yolks with sugar till well dissolved. Beat in salt, corn oil and milk. Add in mashed sweet potato and mix well.
- Sift in flour and mix till smooth and lump free.
- In a clean dry bowl, beat egg whites till foamy. Add in sugar gradually and beat till stiff peak formed.
- Add 1/3 of meringue into egg yolk mixture and mix well.
- Pour the egg yolk mixture into the balanced meringue and fold lightly till well combined. Stir in 1 portion of lemon juice.
- Pour the batter into a ungreased 9" chiffon pan. Tap the pan lightly on a table top to release air bubbles.
- Bake in preheated oven @ 180 deg cel for 40-45 mins or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Invert cake and cool completely in tin before unmoulding.