Do you know that this coming Friday 正月十五which is the Chinese Lantern Festival 元宵节 也称中国情人节 coincides with St Valentine's Day 14th February?! Planning any surprise for your loves one or waiting for surprises? Well my hubby not the romantic kind so I'm not expecting any surprises hahaha….But I got a little surprise for him…..a simple chocolate loaf cake with a little valentine embedded! Try baking this for your love ones and am sure this will surprise them ^0^
Instead of baking in a loaf pan, individual cupcakes also works well. I've actually made some markings on the paper liners so that I will know where is that heart pound cake position . Can you see the markings? ^0^
Ingredient (one 17cm x 6cm loaf cake + 3 cupcakes)
- 150gm salted butter
- 125gm sugar
- 1/2 cup thick plain yogurt
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
- 150gm plain flour
- 60gm cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1 frozen pound cake, cut into even 3/4" slices (do not thaw prior to use)
- Using a electric whisk, beat butter and sugar until creamy. Beat in eggs one at a time until light and fluffy.
- Beat in vanilla and yogurt.
- Sift in flour, cocoa powder and baking powder and fold until just combined. Stir in 1/4 cup chocolate chips.
- Using a small 1" heart cookie cutter, cut heart shapes from each slice of the frozen pound cake. You will need 11 pieces small hearts. 8 for the loaf cake and 3 for the cupcakes.
- Fill the loaf pan 1/3 full with the cake batter. Lay a row of 8 cut out hearts over the batter, pressing down lightly. Spread more cake batter to cover the pound cake hearts, sprinkle balanced chocolate chips over.
- As I've used a smaller loaf pan, extra cake batter was able to bake another 3 cupcakes. Scoop batter into a lined cupcakes and fit in one pound cake heart, top with a scoop of batter and spread evenly. Top with extra chocolate chips. Note : use a food grade marker to make a marking on the cupcakes so that you will know which position to slice to reveal a perfect heart shape.
- Bake in preheated oven at 180 deg cel for 35 mins (loaf pan) or 20 mins for cupcakes.
- Cool completely before slicing. Note : Always clean the knife after each cut to give a clean looking heart.