Pilaf is a rice dish which the rice is simmered in stock till cooked. Spices like cardamon, cinnamon, cloves can be added to flavour the rice. This is the first time I introduced savoury rice pilaf to my kids therefore I've chosen a non spiced pilaf to start with so that my kids will not shun by this rice dish :D They love to munch roasted pine nuts as a snack and mushroom is their favourite food too, so this simple rice pilaf worked out perfectly for them! ^0^
Soaked Basmati Rice
Recipe source : simplyrecipes.com
Ingredient (3-4 servings)
- 1 cup Basmati rice
- 2 cups vegetable stock (I've used cooked chickpeas broth which I've frozen)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 80gm fresh shiitake mushroom, thinly sliced
- 1/4 pine nuts, toasted
- 1 tsp salt (adjust the amt if you are using ready stock bouillon)
- 3/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp butter, melted
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Rinse rice grain till water runs clear. Soak rice in fresh water for 30mins. Drain away water.
- Heat olive oil in HCP (Happy Call Pan). Saute onion over medium heat till soft and fragrant, but not browned. Add in mushroom and fry till flavorful.
- Add in rice and stirring evenly to mix for about 2 mins. Add in pine nuts, salt & pepper.
- Add in stock and bring to a boil.
- Cover pan and adjust flame to low. Cook for 15-20 mins. Do not stir open the lid nor stir the mixture.
- Remove the pan from heat and let sit covered for another 10mins.
- Stir in butter and chopped parsley and fluff up with spatula. Serve.