Oh my painstaking 12 koo chai kueh aka chives dumpling >.<" It took me 3rd attempt to get the wrapper dough right! Imagine I've to wash my hands full of sticky dough and utensils twice, almost give up and dear son will not have any food for his afternoon snack hahaha. Luckily my perseverance paid off :D The dumpling skin is chewy and non-sticky to bite and it did not turn tough after cooling down. It still taste as soft after 4 hours. Oh my dear son chomped down 3 dumplings at one go before going for his afternoon nap >0<
Pan-fried filling ready to be wrapped
Practise makes perfect! This is the best shaped dumpling I've ever made! :D
Ingredient (enough for 12 dumplings)
- 150gm chinese chives, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp dried shrimps, soaked and roughly chopped (retained soaked liquid)
- 5 dried shitake mushroom, soaked and diced (retained soaked liquid)
- 1 tsp oyster sauce
- 2 tsp light soy sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/3 tsp white pepper
- 75gm wheat starch
- 75gm tapioca starch
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 175ml boiling water
- 1 tsp corn oil
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in pan, garlic, dried shrimps and mushroom and sauté till fragrant.
- Add in chives and seasoning and mix evenly. Drizzle in 2 tbsp reserved liquid and stir fry briefly. Remove from fire. Cool completely before wrapping.
- Combine flour and salt into a large mixing bowl. Pour in boiling water at one go and stir with a spatula till just combine, mixture will be slightly crumbly. Cover and rest for 10mins.
- Add in 1 tsp oil and knead the dough till smooth. Rest for 5 mins.
- Divide dough into 12 equal portions. Lightly floured the working surface and the rolling pin.
- Roll out each dough thinly, roughly about 7-8cm in diameter. Wrap in filling and seal the edge by pinching it together.
- Arrange the dumplings on a well oiled plate. Steam over preheated steamer for 8 mins.
- Remove from heat and glaze the dumplings with sesame oil.
I love to serve the dumplings with sweet dark sauce! ^.*
This is so yummy esp the koo chai and the dried shrimps. I can just eat the ingredients on its own!
this is wonderful! tks for the recipe
I tried to make the skin about 3-4 times too. I still could not get it right! :(
Post a Comment