Still left with a punnet of fresh apricots after baking the blueberry & apricot buckle :) The fresh apricots taste sweet with some crunch but I do not know why my kids do not fancy eating this fresh fruit >.< But after baking/cooking the apricots, they accept the taste. Indeed the cooked apricots taste so much sweeter and literally melts in the mouth :D
I've cooked canned peach with chicken before, so I thought fresh apricot should goes well with chicken too :D I simply just grab some chicken drumstick without knowing how about cooking with this two combination :P some recipe findings and found lots of recipe on Apricot Chicken! Mostly are Moroccan inspired dishes which I've yet to cook before :D I've chosen the simplest recipe which all the spice ingredients I have readily in my pantry.
Browning the chicken drumstick and braising all done in HappyCall Pan which reduce the cooking time by 50% (1/2 recipe) instead of braising for 45-50 mins as indicated by the original recipe.
- 6 chicken drumstick, approx. 600gm
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 medium onion, finely sliced
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 12 fresh apricots, pitted and quartered
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1/2 tsp ginger powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1.5 tbsp honey, or to taste
- salt to taste
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. Heat oil in happy call pan (HCP), add in chicken, cover pan but do not lock it, cook for 3 mins over medium heat. Cook the other side for another 3-4 mins until browned. Transfer to a plate, reserved the liquid leaving about 1 tbsp oil in the pan.
- Add in onion and fry until lightly browned, for about 7 mins. Add garlic and saute briefly.
- Add in apricots, cinnamon, ginger, coriander, reserved liquid, 1 cup water, honey. Bring to boil.
- Add in browned chicken pieces, cover lid. Lower heat and simmer for 10-12 mins until gravy thickens. Add in salt to taste.