Very simple Caramel Bar making, only the base need to be baked, the rest of the steps just need to cook over the stove and patiently wait for each layer to cool down before layering....
Ingredient (9" x 9" square pan)
Base** (halve the recipe if using 8" x 8" pan)
- 250gm plain flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 50gm brown sugar
- 115gm unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- 250gm dark chocolate, melted
- 2 tbsp ground almonds
- 175gm butter
- 60gm sugar
- 2 tbsp golden syrup
- 175ml condensed milk
- 200gm whole almonds, toasted
- 225gm plain chocolate, melted
1. Sift flour & baking powder into a mixing bowl. Stir in sugar.
2. Using fingertips, rub in butter into flour mixture until like breadcrumbs.
4. Press mixture into a lined 9" x 9" square pan (I used a 8" size). Spread mixture into the pan evenly and prick the surface with a fork. Baked in preheated oven at 160 deg cel for 30-35mins. Leave to cool.
5. To make topping, combine butter, sugar, golden syrup, condensed milk in a saucepan. Using low heat, simmer until mixture is golden, stirring occasionally. (I cooked the mixture for abt 15mins)
6. Remove from fire and stir in whole almonds. Pour the topping over the cooled base and spread evenly. Leave to set.
7. Spread melted chocolate over the caramel topping. Leave to cool & set in fridge before slicing.....