Thursday, June 24, 2010

Mango Yoghurt Swiss Roll

Making swiss roll is really a dead spot for me! Either underbake or crack when rolling up! Therefore you will see I seldom post any swiss roll recipe on my blog heeee....is not that I never bake, baked quite a few times but ALWAYS FAILED!!! I saw this swiss roll recipe in Kevin Chai's recipe book, saw that the batter is being pipe into the pan instead of the usual spreading method. Decided to give this recipe a try as I presume that I will be able to roll up the cake without cracking it too much :)

YES!! I manage to roll up the cake without destroying it ^-^ I am using a 9x9" square pan as my oven can only fit in this size pan, therefore the rolling pattern is not as visible as normal swiss roll. But overall I'm glad that this roll turns out well this time round!

Instead of using buttercream or fresh cream as filling, I research on other recipes and whip up a yoghurt filling for the swiss roll. I prefer to use natural set yoghurt as it does not have any sugar added. The mango puree will attribute natural sweetness to the yoghurt filling :)





Ingredient (I halve the recipe to fit into my 9x9" square pan)
  • 4 egg whites
  • 100gm sugar
  • 4 egg yolks, light beaten
  • 125gm plain flour
  • 200gm unsweeten plain yoghurt
  • 1/2 cup mango puree
  • 4 tsp gelatine
  • 2 tbsp water
  • some diced mango
Method
  1. Dissolve gelatine with water. Mix yoghurt, mango puree and gelatine together. Chill in fridge until use.
  2. In a clean mixing bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks, gradually add in sugar and beat on high speed till stiff peak form.
  3. Stir in egg yolks (do not beat). Sift in flour and fold gently till evenly mixed.
  4. Spoon batter into a piping bag fitted with a star nozzle (I used a wilton 824 piping tip). Pipe into a lined 10 x 14 in cake pan in rows.
  5. Baked in preheated oven at 200 deg cel for 10-15min till golden brown. Cool slightly.
  6. Spread yoghurt filling over smooth side of the cake. Sprinkle some mango cubes over. Roll up.

4 comments:

Bakericious said...

I dare not try swiss roll yet cos afraid of failure :p. This swiss roll looks nice and congrats on your success!

Peng said...

thanks Jess....u have a nice blog!! lots of nice deco cakes :)

Anonymous said...

same here...I still dont dare to venture into making swiss roll cos have the feeling sure fail! This new method of piping and rolling looks interesting which tempt me into trying...another recipe in my list! thanks for sharing. Can this be used as Christmas logcake? Lovingkids

Peng said...

Lovingkids....of course can if u dun mind the taste n texture! just cover the roll with choco ganache the deco a bit will become like xmas log cake :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails