Recently got a new recipe book featuring baking with vegetables :) Never try baking egg custard before and still have some leftover pumpkin after baking the cookies, decide to try making some pumpkin egg custard found in the recipe book. The whole process is simple & fast except that I almost burnt the caramel sugar :P It taste slightly bitter due to overcooking, but it still taste fine with the egg custard. It taste rich & 'eggy' , though pumpkin is added into the egg custard but no distinctive taste of the pumpkin.
- 100gm castor sugar
- 1 tbsp water
- 200ml milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 50gm castor sugar
- 3 whole eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 200ml fresh cream
- 120gm pumpkin puree
- Place sugar & water in a small saucepan. Heat over low heat till sugar dissolves. Stirring constantly till the sugar is caramelized.
- Scoop the caramelized sugar into individual ramekins. Swirl to coat the base evenly. Set aside.
- Warm up milk, salt & sugar over low heat till sugar dissolves. Combine eggs, cream & pumpkin puree in a mixing bowl and beat evenly. Add in milk gradually and beating at the same time to combine the mixture.
- Strain the mixture thoroughly into another mixing bowl. Discard any pumpkin fibre after sieving thoroughly. (use a spoon to press against the siever) Set aside for 30mins.
- Pour the custard into the prepared ramekins. Place ramekins in a pan of water, bake in preheated oven at 160 deg cel for 50 mins. Serve warm.