Sunday, March 1, 2009

Coffee Chiffon

So far most of my chiffon recipe are adapted from Kevin Chai recipe book which I like it very much :) For this coffee chiffon I have made some modification on the original recipe, eg. reducing the sugar content, increasing the liquid and dry ingredient...the chiffon turns out great! light & soft texture with a subtle coffee flavour and the sweetness is just right.


Ingredient
* 2 tbsp instant coffee (i used expresso dark roast granules)
* 50ml warm milk
* 4 egg yolks
* 50ml corn oil
* 100gm castor sugar
* 100gm plain flour, sifted
* 4 egg whites
* 1/4 tsp cream of tartar

Method
  1. Dissolve coffee granules in warm milk. Whisk egg yolks with 50gm sugar till smooth. Stir in coffee mixture & corn oil. Fold in flour till batter forms.
  2. Beat egg whites with cream of tartar till foamy. Gradually beat in 50gm sugar on high speed in 3 additions till stiff peak formed.
  3. Fold in 1/3 of the egg white foam into coffee batter. Mix evenly. Pour the batter into the balance egg white foam and fold in gently till combined.
  4. Pour into ungreased 8 inch tube pan. Tap the pan on hard surface to release excess trap air bubbles and bake in preheated oven at 180 deg cel for 30-35 mins. Invert immediately to cool completely before removing from pan.

17 comments:

Beachlover said...

your coffee chiffon really look great!! must try coffee flavor next time1

Mel said...

Hi Peng

Read that most of your chiffon recipe are adapted from Kevin Chai's recipe book and all of them turn out well for you =) I've tried some of the 2eggs recipe from him but all turn out big disaster T_T (I've tried 8inch chiffon cakes and they turn out ok, but not the 2eggs chiffon) all the 2eggs chiffon have the same problem. A sunken top (overturned,previously the bottom) (like a small groove). Could you give me some pointers to solve this problem? Suffering from chiffon phobia =(

Peng said...

Mel...wat size pan u used to fill in the 2 eggs recipe one? When using 2 eggs recipe I will use them to fill up 4 mini chiffon pans.

Mel said...

Peng, I use normal 6 inch cake pan and the cake will have a volcano top and a flat dense body upon unmoulding. On 2nd attempt I use a 7 inch cake pan nice flat top without any crack, but yields the same result for the body. >_<!!!!

Thought of buying mini chiffon pans from NTUC/Daiso to try out, if fail again I shall give up 100% on these 2eggs recipe!

Peng said...

when u stay, if can i lend u my mini pan to try out :P

Peng said...

Mel....oh u use normal pans! u din line the side of the pan right? I try baking chiffon lining the base and overturned to cool down,the middle still sink a bit. Dense cake is too much condensation, no space for the air to 'escape' unlike using tube pan.

Mel said...

Thks Peng =) I'm staying in Pasir Ris.

Yup, I didn't even line the bottom of the pan, just pour the batter straight in. Weird, I've baked Almond Bean Chiffon in this manner using the same 7 inch cake pan and it turn out ok.

http://melodiebeans.blogspot.com/2010/11/almond-bean-chiffon-cake.html

Cracking my head, thinking what went wrong whenever I bake a 2 eggs chiffon cake from Kevin Chai's recipe. >_<!!!

Thanks for taking the time to help me out.

Cheers ^^

Peng said...

Mel...email me @ veronicachia@hotmail.com to arrange the timing ;P

Mel said...

Hi Peng

True, will continue to jia you.

Thanks

Anonymous said...

Your coffee chiffon cake looks great.

I have 9in/22cm tube pan. How should I use your recipe?

Could you mind give us original recipe?

Thanks!

Peng said...

Hi, the original recipe uses only 2 yolks! I actually adjust the qty to fit my pan.

Iris said...

Hi Peng, can I check when it comes to baking, is corn oil or canola oil better? Recently I came across a chiffon cake recipe using cornflour only. Is there a difference when using cream of tartar and cornflour? Thanks!

Peng said...

Iris...corn or canola oil is fine as they have mild taste not overpowering like peanut oil. Cream of tartar helps to stablise the meringue is different from corn flour.

Iris said...

No wonder the chiffon cake recipe using only cornflour doesn't rise high. You are really knowledgeable! Thks again.

Peng said...

Iris....hahaha just learnt from all these yrs of baking lah ;)

Mel said...

Hi Peng,

Would like to chk with you on the consistency of the egg yolk n sugar batter. Mine was rather thick n it require more than 1/3 of the meringue to lighten. Could the reason be that I've whisked the egg yolk n sugar batter to a thick creamy mixture instead of just giving them a few strokes before adding the flour etc.
Thks in advance. ☺

Peng said...

Mel....is not necessary to beat the yolks and sugar till thick, just hand whisk till the sugar is well dissolved is enough.

Related Posts with Thumbnails