When I first saw this cute watermelon egg tarts recipe, I told myself must definitely try making this!..the preparation of the ingredient is easy but could not get the eggs filling to cook properly. Though the recipe book suggested 18-22mins cooked time but when near the end I opened the oven door to check, and give a slight shake to check on the tarts. The fillings are still quite watery so i have to prolong the baking time.
Though a large amount of watermelon juice is used, the taste is not distinctive enough. If not of the pink colour and sesame seeds you won't know that is made of watermelon juice, is just taste like normal egg tarts to me..As per recipe the tart crust yields 12 tarts but there are leftovers of eggs filling...
- 75gm butter
- 25gm sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 tsp vanilla essence
- 115gm plain flour
- few drops green colouring
- 100ml water
- 100gm sugar (i find it to sweet so i reduce the sugar to 50gm)
- 4 eggs
- 360ml watermelon juice
- 1 tsp black sesame seeds
- To make tart crust, beat butter and sugar until creamy. Add in egg yolk and vanilla essence, mix well. Fold in flour and add in green colouring and mix to form dough. (i used a spatula).
- Chill the dough for half an hour. Then press into tart moulds.
- To make fillings, bring water and sugar to boil, remove and leave to cool.
- Whisk eggs, combine sugar syrup and watermelon juice until blended.
- Sieve the filling and pour into prepared tart cases. Bake in preheated oven at 180 deg cel for 25 mins or until cooked. Remove tarts, decorate with black sesame seeds.